Monday, March 21, 2011

Hieronymus Bosch (c.1450-1516)




Lets just say that I'm a sucker for fantasy. As a child I could not contain myself from the lore of Star Wars, Gremlins, and many other movies that fed my insatiable appetite for weird creatures and folk stories that pervaded on the screen. Needless to say my imagination began to take over my life and I became an artist. After copying and being inspired by many of the twentieth centuries greatest artist I transcribed everything that inspired me. But it wasn't until I stumbled upon a book of this artist in Amsterdamn of all places that I was blessed with seeing a timeless vision of the world. I immediatly purchased the book, which I probably over paid, but the quality of the reproductions of this book have been extremely inspiring for me. I saw my first Bosch in Vienna and was floored. I have never stared at a work of art for so long as i did his this work at the Kunsthistorisches museum. The crispness of the color and imagery struck me at my core and I did not want to leave this enormous panels presence. The memory of seeing this work is still very much alive in my heart. Now, I embark on a series of paintings dedicated to Bosch.

No comments:

Post a Comment