Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recap of MAY: New Approaches, New Insight, New Resolve.

I have had another wonderful month of creative expression. And I have reached more conclusions. Art should be from somewhere emotional and personal. Although part of me agrees with making art for peoples enjoyment, another part of me views art as something therapeutic and personal to the artist. I am going to make these pathways very clearly different. But, they will both take their expression through drawing. Painting will remain something I do as a hobby, something for personal enjoyment, and I will avoid thinking critically about my painting.

Two methods of Drawing. One will be to continue the kind of drawing that I feel streams from my imagination, and creates an illusory worlds of creatures, melting together within an abstract atmosphere. The other form of drawing will focus a lot more on the emotional aspect of my individuality. I will dig into the paper, with ordinary office pens, and they will be guided by geometry and curvilinear shapes. These will be works that when you feel them, you have a visceral experience because they will mold the paper into a type of skin.

I have come to the realization that drawing is the most important way, and perhaps always has been, the most efficient way for me to express myself. This is because I can draw directly and precisely. I look forward to posting these two separate directions on this blog, and I look forward to hearing any criticism that people would like to offer.

no- just a pen- what made those drawings at the museum great was there lack of structure- they became something else- a record of time passing
they were repeated again and again like a mantra
so much noise morphed and became quiet
do not over aestheticize them
no "high lights"
think, "what would steve do?" and then, do the opposite

No comments:

Post a Comment