Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Unemployment Drawings by Ross Smirnoff


I've been trying to rethink my approach.  I'm sort of bored with my previous method and feel that I took it as far as it could go.  What changed with these painting/drawings is that it was a direct approach, not methodical.  I was open to new forms, colors, and worked with a paced drive.  I need to finish these very quickly in order to capture the emotions going on inside of me.  It's the year 2013 and art has been completed taken control of by the society's elite.  The artist has become powerless and voiceless, dependent on a market driven to make money, so the artist must work within that confined trap in order to produce a living off of their art.  Also, this is a time in history when art has it's least support with the people at large, who have been largely brainwashed by society to be consistently zapped by some form of technology.  In America, and perhaps around the world we need a new culture, that learns to trade on ideas not wealth.  The artist plays a key role in this battle, but they're dependent on man to have their voices heard.  Will the people hear the artist drumming the sound of battle against a society of valueless materialism?  It's time for a new currency.  

No comments:

Post a Comment